Dihydrocodeine is a prescription-based opioid medication. It has some similarities in structure with codeine, but it is more effective than codeine. It acts as a potent pain killer.
Dihydrocodeine is available in different formulations, including tablets, capsules, and injections. It is usually prescribed for short-term pain management of chronic pain. In addition, it is viable in different potencies, especially in 30mg. Your doctor or healthcare practitioner can prescribe the proper dose according to the severity of the pain.
Uses Of Dihydrocodeine
Dihydrocodeine works by binding to opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord. In this way, it affects the perception of pain.
Dihydrocodeine is used for the management of different types of pain, including:
Postoperative pain is experienced after a surgical procedure, usually due to tissue damage. It is the normal part of the healing procedure. Doctors prescribe different analgesics and painkillers to relieve this pain. Dihydrocodeine 30mg relieves pain after different surgical procedures, including dental surgery, orthopedic surgery, and gyne surgery. Most surgeons recommend it due to its fast, pain-relieving properties.
Chronic pain has no cure. What you can do is pain management. Chronic pain conditions vary from person to person. Dihydrocodeine 30mg is effective in relieving chronic pain in joints due to arthritis. Furthermore, it is effective in other chronic pain also.
Dihydrocodeine 30 mg may be used for the management of neuropathic pain. Neuropathic Pain is also hard to manage because it’s due to damage to the nervous system. Such pain is moderate to severe intensity.
Sometimes you may feel acute pain due to injury or for any other reason than Dihydrocodeine 30 mg works.
Advantages Of Dihydrocodeine Over Traditional Painkillers
Dihydrocodeine has several advantages as a painkiller. Some are mentioned below.
Effective Pain Relief
Several painkillers are on the market, but Dihydrocodeine is a potent painkiller. It can provide effective relief in moderate to severe pain.
Long Duration of Action
Dihydrocodeine has a longer duration of action compared to other painkillers. It means that it can provide pain relief for a longer interval when compared to traditional drugs. Furthermore, its effects can vary from person to person, depending upon the severity of the pain.
Dihydrocodeine 30 mg is a versatile pain killer because it helps to relieve different kinds of pain.
Available In Different Formulations
Dihydrocodeine is available in different formulations, including tablets, capsules, and injections, which makes it easy to administer and tailor the dose to the patient’s needs. Most doctors prescribe Dihydrocodeine 30 mg as an initial dose.
Side Effects Of Dihydrocodeine
Like all opioids, Dihydrocodeine can cause side effects, which can be mild or severe. Common side effects include:
- Suppose you are using Dihydrocodeine for the first time. You may feel nausea and vomiting.
- Dizziness and Drowsiness is a common side effect of opioids. Patients may feel dizziness after the oral administration of Dihydrocodeine 30 mg.
- Constipation is very common with the use of Dihydrocodeine. Increase the fiber intake and water to avoid it.
- A dry mouth or cottonmouth is also common. You can get relief from it by keeping yourself dehydrated.
- You may sweat more than normal routine due to the use of Dihydrocodeine.
- Headache and mood swings are both related to long-term use. Sometimes patients may feel a headache even after the first use.
- Patients may feel itching in certain parts of the body. In such situations, it is better to discontinue the use of medicine.
Severe side effects of Dihydrocodeine
Dihydrocodeine 30 mg usually shows no serious side effects for a short period. These side effects are linked to a high dose of Dihydrocodeine. Everybody is different. Their body reacts differently to this medicine
- Respiratory depression and shortening of breath
- Hallucinations and brain fog
Precautions For Using Dihydrocodeine
- Dihydrocodeine should be used cautiously in patients with Respiratory disorders, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Do not drink alcohol while using Dihydrocodeine: Drinking alcohol while taking Dihydrocodeine can cause difficulty breathing and dizziness.
- Don’t drive and operate heavy machinery after using Dihydrocodeine. Dihydrocodeine can cause Drowsiness, dizziness, and impaired thinking.
- Dihydrocodeine can also cause feelings of euphoria and relaxation, which can lead to addiction and abuse. That’s why it is also necessary to use Dihydrocodeine cautiously in patients with a history of drug abuse.
- If you are pregnant, then also take it with caution. However, you can take Dihydrocodeine 30 mg in pregnancy. If you take Dihydrocodeine at the end of the last trimester, your baby may show withdrawal symptoms.
Is It Safe To Take Dihydrocodeine With Other Painkillers And Medicines?
It’s safe to take Dihydrocodeine with paracetamol, ibuprofen, or aspirin, but some brands are formulating painkillers that contain both Dihydrocodeine and paracetamol. So take these tablets carefully and don’t take any other painkillers to avoid overdose. Furthermore, certain medications, such as sedatives, sleeping pills, and muscle relaxants, can interact with Dihydrocodeine. It causes serious side effects. Inform your doctor about your medications if you are taking them already.
General Things To Keep In Mind
- Keep Dihydrocodeine 30 mg away from the reach of children and pets
- If you suffer from any unpleasant or serious side effects from using the medicine, immediately seek medical help to avoid future inconveniences.
- Consult your doctor before starting Dihydrocodeine 30 mg, especially if you are expecting or breastfeeding. If you take Dihydrocodeine during breastfeeding, closely observe your baby for breathing and increased Drowsiness. If such a complication occurs, then immediately discontinue the use the
- Stay within the prescribed dose, or don’t try to change the prescribed dose.
Wrapping Up The Things
Dihydrocodeine is an effective pain reliever. Overall Dihydrocodeine 30 mg is well tolerated. It is available in various forms, such as tablets, capsules, and liquids. As a prescription medication, it can only be obtained with a doctor’s approval and supervision. Furthermore, in case of severe allergic reactions or breathing problems, seek medical help immediately.